So the denizens recruit mutants, the corrupted, and the damned into their ranks. The simplest method is through cults. Zones of weirdness, evil satellites, strange stars, monsters, even the howling gods themselves, they all send little Shaver Mystery-style signals into the brains of the susceptible.
Humans are also unfortunately prone to depravity on their own. Even those who start out virtuous may become monsters after seeing enough death or hardship. It's so much easier to just give in. You'll be rewarded for it, in fact. You'll come to see that it will help people, in the end, if you follow the twisted logic. Just give in.
- Psychic vestiges
- Imprisoned god
- Strange entity
- Serial Murders
- Government Corruption
- Mutations: The tools will have hidden corruptions of flesh that they reveal when the jig is up or they are ready to kill.
- Minions: Gifted with servitors that act as lieutenants, shadowy henchmen, or bodyguards. Another possibility is that followers will take on inhuman aspects.
- Might of arms: Superior combat skills, secret techniques, or unearthly defenses.
- Magic secrets: Spells or items that are hard to come by. Ritual knowledge to bring more evil into the world common.
- Merging: The tool will start to manifest aspects and powers of the roots. If the agenda is carried far enough, the tool will become the root incarnate.
Typo hunting appreciated.